- Status: Finalizing data analyses and Stage 2 manuscript
- Stage 1 Registered Report given ‘In Principle Acceptance’ at Journal of Child Language
In this ongoing project we explore whether early preference for Infant Directed Speech (IDS) is linked to later vocabulary size. For instance, we are interested in investigating to what extent preference for IDS predicts infants’ vocabulary; if the relation between IDS preference and vocabulary size changes over development; and if there is any systematic differences in the strength of this relationship across the language communities. Infants’ preference for IDS was tested as part of the MabyBabies1 project, and follow-up CDI data is being collected from a subsample of this dataset at 18 and 24 months of age.
- Melanie Soderstrom, University of Manitoba, Canada [email]
- Materials, Protocols, and Documentation: MB1L-OSF.
- Data and code: to be released.
- Listserv: join here.
- News: MB1L-news.
- For a detailed index of collaborators (+ institutions, countries, studies), see the MB collaborator dashboard.
We encourage everyone who is interested in the project to contact the Project Lead (see above) or fill out the MB Sign-Up Form.
Please note that access to infants/infant lab is NOT a prerequisite.
Soderstrom, M., Werker, J. F., Tsui, A., Skarabela, B., Seidl, A., Searle, A., Ryjova, Y., Rennels, J. L., Potter, C., Paulus, M., Ota, M., Noble, C., Nave, K., Mayor, J., Martin, A., Lew-Williams, C., Ko, E., Kartushina, N., Kammermeier, M., Jessop, A., Hay, J. F., Hannon, E. E., Hamlin, J. K., Gonzalez-Gomez, N., Gonzalez-Barrero, A. M., Gampe, A., Fritzsche, T., Frank, M. C., Floccia, C., Durrant, S., Delle Luche, C., Davies, C., Cashon, C., Byers-Heinlein, K., Black, A. K., Bergmann, C., Anderson, L. (Stage 1 Registered Report, In Principle Acceptance). Testing the Relationship Between Preferences for Infant-Directed Speech and Vocabulary Development: A Multi-Lab Study. Journal of Child Language. Preprint